I'm pretty open-- certainly more so than I was in 2014 😀

Back then, I created a flow chart that started with the whole approach to a
new project being created and out of that whole process, only one item is
still in the current process-- the need to reference a particular NFV
standard that is being addressed.

The thought, back then was to provide a mechanism where we could identify
whether we were implementing a standard or creating a new one. If
implementing then I felt we were doing a good thing. If, however, we were
implementing a marketing requirement that did readily have a corresponding
standard associated with it, I felt it was worth documenting and
socializing it to the relevant SDO so that they wouldn't ultimately turn
around and re-invent the wheel.

That was at the onset of a new project being created.

On the backend of things, I felt it was needed to put a similar mechanism
in place to help us get our patches adopted by any affected upstream
project. My premise was fairly simple back then. I actually thought we
would have more of our own code than we currently have. But I did think we
would be making changes to upstream projects to help things be more tightly
integrated and that there needed be a mechanism to help socialize them so
we might not have to maintain so many mods to such leveraged projects.

None of this was really intended to FORCE the projects to do anything, but
rather provide a documented process and list of stuff. Once we had such a
list and corresponding process, we could use that to help folks who had no
idea what to do to make their hard work more popular in other communities.
I also felt it was something we could monitor via software, much like we're
now doing with license and security scanning.

This could even be done at a WG level, so that the burden isn't 100% on a
project that is otherwise tapped for resources.

That was the idea. And I had some really nifty (at least in my mind at the
time, probably will make me vomit now) flow charts.