David,

thanks for the summary. Let’s remind ourselves, that in OPNFV we’re really
trying to meet the needs of two different audiences: (1) User/consumer of a
readily integrated NFV stack – as well as marketing operations (2)
Developer/tester of an NFV stack. Audience #1 is mostly interested in
stability, even if that means that things are released a little later (i.e. you
build on long released components). Audience #2 is pushing the envelope and
requires the ability to evolve/develop and integrate the latest set of
components; once working they desire to release things to allow others to build
on top; and move on/start over.

The current 1.0/2.0/3.0 was an effort to meet the needs of both audiences, i.e.

·       Have a “major” release.

·       Allow developers to release scenarios when they are ready and evolve,
without too much of a maintenance burden.
This is also why we typically did not fix component versions for a release, but
said: Based or ODL Boron or later.

I agree that releases are not free – especially the “major” release, because it
comes with significant documentation and coordination needs. That said, it is
mostly the “major” release with a lot of central coordination which creates
efforts. Labeling and pushing an updated version of test results and
documentation is relatively low effort – and can even be done by a scenario
team. It does not even require central coordination. And our pipeline is now
mature enough to do these things with low/moderate overhead.

So rather than move back in history and go back to a single release every 6
months, which will make OPNFV a very inflexible organization for developers, I
would strongly suggest that we rather consider evolving the current release
process. IMHO we should be ready to have monthly micro-releases (scenario
owners publish those scenarios which are “ready”, i.e. have docs ready and pass
testing), and every 6 months we do a macro-release (with marketing/press
announcement) which includes the set of scenarios which are “ready” by then.
Macro-releases can be coupled to certain upstream component versions (as
selection criteria for what is in/out of a macro release) – whereas
micro-release would enjoy complete freedom.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Frank