Hello,

Well I have had a little journey down the road of obscure bugs this past week.
I messed up the docker installation on Intel pod 24, and so had to re-install
it.  From that point forward, I got this really annoying error when attempting
to upgrade python's setuptools:

OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument:
'/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/_vendor/packaging'

If I started a new container, entered it and executed the pip install of newer
version of setuptools, it worked just fine.  Of course, this container build
step worked on my laptop, on Ericsson slave 3, etc, etc.

I turned to our good friends in the Apex team for help.  When I was chatting
with Tim Rozet he mentioned that they switched to overlay instead of loop
devices due to having problems with loop devices.  Great!  I'll try that.

Did a little reading of some sites from Tim, plus this particularly helpful one
[1].  Turns out that when I reinstalled docker, it was a newer version that
already uses overlays.  So I didn't have to change anything.  But still it
wasn't working.  Then I re-read [1].  To quote:

"While testing overlay on kernel 3.10, I got errors while running docker build.
Specifically I got errors when doing an rm on files of an underlying layer."

Oh.  Upgrade of setuptools is removing the previous version.  From an
underlying layer!  Quick: uname -a.  Yes!  I was on 3.10.

Upgrade to 4.10 as per the instructions in [1] and it's all working again.
Hopefully this long rant might save someone else headache in the future.

[1] https://adminswerk.de/overlayfs-docker-storage-driver-centos-7/

Regards,
Mark

Mark Beierl
SW System Sr Principal Engineer
Dell EMC | Office of the CTO
mobile +1 613 314 8106<tel:1-613-314-8106>
mark.bei...@dell.com<mailto:mark.bei...@dell.com>