The current proposal
https://wiki.opnfv.org/display/SWREL/Git+Tagging+Instructions+for+Euphrates
uses the following name for release candidates tags:

for 5.0:
euphrates.1.rc1
euphrates.1.rc2
…
euphrates.5.0

for 5.1:
euphrates.2.rc1
euphrates.2.rc2
…
euphrates.5.1

This works but is a bit surprising (insertion of the minor version + 1 before
the rc number).
I would like get feedback on whether we could adopt a more “conventional”
naming instead, along with patch or bug fix versions (for those projects that
need it):

for 5.0:
euphrates.5.0.rc1                                1st release candidate version
for 5.0
euphrates.5.0.rc2                                2nd rc for 5.0
…
euphrates.5.0
euphrates.5.0.1                                   1st bug fix version for 5.0
euphrates.5.0.2
…

for 5.1:
euphrates.5.1.rc1
euphrates.5.1.rc2
…
euphrates.5.1

Regarding timing, it is not clear when the first rc version is applied?
Will it be applied on the first merge from master (by project owners) or will
it be applied the base of the branch at branch creation time (by releng)?
I’d rather use the former given that the base of the branch is likely not going
to be a good rc for most projects (since the branch for all projects is created
by Aric at the same time, it is unlikely they are all “good” rc at the same
time).
Would also be good to know when is the deadline for getting a “good” rc on each
project.

Thanks

  Alec