This email is mostly addressed for all OPNFV project PTLs that participate in
the Euphrates release – there should be bout 30-40 projects involved.

A branch called “stable/euphrates” was created on your repo about 3 weeks ago.
Before euphrates releases (by Oct 20), there needs to be 1 git tag applied to
that branch with the tag “opnfv-5.0.0” to indicate which commit of your repo
will be part of the official release.

The main goal of this email thread is to clarify who does what, how and when
for euphrates deliverables.

WHO APPLIES THE RELEASE TAG ON THE STABLE BRANCH?

From what I gathered, in past releases (danube) this was done by the project
owner and was a manual process.
Ideally this should be done by a releng script on all stable branches.
For euphrates such script is not going to be available and we will need PTLs to
apply the tag manually.

WHEN TO APPLY THE RELEASE TAG?
David McBride will provide a deadline for E release. I suspect it would be a
few days before Oct 20.

WHERE TO APPLY THE RELEASE TAG?
The tag should be named “opnfv-5.0.0” and should be applied on the
stable/euphrates branch.
The exact commit to apply to will be selected by the PTL and must be a commit
that is stable and is validated for euphrates (see validation below).
It is generally at the tip of the stable branch (although not necessarily).
In general the tip of your stable branch should contain a commit that has been
validated to work for euphrates. This could mean different things depending on
the type of project…

If you have a test project used for validating Euphrates (e.g. functest,
storperf, yardstick…), your stable branch should contain the latest working
version used to validate Euphrates scenarios for feature projects. I’m not sure
what version of test projects is used to validate a release scenario currently?
Is it master or stable/euphrates? I would think it should be stable/euphrates
but somebody will need to confirm. If it is master I think we will have some
work to do...
If you have a feature project, the version you ship with euphrates and the one
you validate should be at the tip of your stable/euphrates branch as well. If
you use master- again you should consider merging to stable the right commits.

Those projects that still plan to ship commits in master (post stable branch
creation) to euphrates will have to plan very quickly how to merge these
contents into the stable branch.

PROJECTS WITH ARTIFACTS (iso, docker images)

An OPNFV release will consist of a number of artifacts: doc, iso docker images.

I can’t speak for doc and iso, but for docker images, we will need to have
official euphrates images into DockerHub before the release date.
These image tags will be named after the git tag they are built from on the
stable branch (“opnfv-5.0.0”).
The procedure on how to build/push such image is not clear to me yet, but I
think we need some minimum coordination with releng team, people who used to
commit to the releng/opnfv-docker.sh script and PTLs of projects that need to
publish official release docker images.

ACTION ITEMS

  *   David: by what date should the release tags be applied on the stable
branches for Euphrates
  *   David, releng: Precise the criteria for a commit to be eligible for
getting the release tag
  *   PTLs: check if your stable branch ready for release tagging based on above
  *   Releng: Provide instructions to publish release container images to
dockerhub

Thanks
Alec