Hi Bryan,

To make collectd virt plugin work on a host, the libvirt library needs to be
installed on the system/host (virt
plugin<http://docs.opnfv.org/en/latest/submodules/barometer/docs/release/userguide/feature.userguide.html#virt-plugin>,
 ` Dependencies: `). If the collectd is running in the OpenStack environment
(e.g. on compute), the dependencies for libvirtd should be installed
automatically during OpenStack installation. It means no other dependencies
needs to be installed for collectd virt plugin. Only install
collectd<http://docs.opnfv.org/en/latest/submodules/barometer/docs/release/userguide/collectd.ves.userguide.html#install-collectd>
 steps needs to be performed to install collectd on a host for the VES
purposes. The following commands can be used on a host to make sure that
libvirt dependencies have been installed by OpenStack:
$ sudo dpkg -l | grep virt
ii  libvirt-dev:amd64                  2.5.0-3ubuntu5.5~cloud0
  amd64        development files for the libvirt library
If the collectd is running in non OpenStack environment, the libvirt should be
installed manually (via `sudo apt-get install libvirt-dev`) or from sources
(see virt
plugin<http://docs.opnfv.org/en/latest/submodules/barometer/docs/release/userguide/feature.userguide.html#virt-plugin>
 `Install libvirt` & ` install the dependencies: ` for more details how to
build from sources). It depends on what features/extended statistics you want
to receive via libvirt (see Extended statistics
requirements<http://docs.opnfv.org/en/latest/submodules/barometer/docs/release/userguide/feature.userguide.html#id9>
 section for more details). The extended statistics (if libvirt version
supports them) are mapped  into `additionMeasurenmets` filed of the VES
message. From the VES app perspective, it shouldn't  be difference what
statistics are exposed by libvirt & virt plugin (e.g. what version of libvirt
is installed and used).

Regarding the `virsh tool`. This tool is used to create and manage VM manually
via libvirt and CLI. As I understand, you are running collectd in OpenStack
environment, so you don't need to use this method. The OpenStack environment
should be used instead to create/manage VMs (OpenStack uses libvirt to manage
VMs).

If you receive collectd errors anyway during running collectd, please send me
the collectd logs and config.log  from the source directory (the config.log are
created automatically after running `configure ...` command in the collectd
source tree), so I will try to figure out the problem.

Thanks and Regards,
Volodymyr