De : opnfv-tech-discuss-boun...@lists.opnfv.org
[mailto:opnfv-tech-discuss-boun...@lists.opnfv.org] De la part de Manuel Buil
Envoyé : vendredi 2 février 2018 13:00
À : OPNFV-TECH-DISCUSS OPNFV
Objet : [opnfv-tech-discuss] Could ways of working with testing frameworks be
improved when working with master?

Hi,

As you know, the SFC project is currently testing openstack master, that means
we need to use functest master in order to consume the lastest patches in the
projects we use. Unfortunately, in the last weeks, we wasted quite some time
trying to understand why suddenly the tests were not able to run and the cause
was a change in the master branch of functest. For example, we are using the
function "timethis" from functest_utils, which was removed by this patch:
https://github.com/opnfv/functest/commit/c6092cb676363d89f366dc9a416ba6c53eeea33f#diff-b5f06ecfb223c80624f432ef33cf1fdd
 and suddenly our tests are not working and we don't know whether there is an
alternative.

Functest is the framework we use for our tests and ideally, we (SFC project)
would like to get some heads up before that change is done, so that we are
warned and we don't have to waste time investigating what changed. I guess the
same could be applied to other core testing frameworks like Yardstick. However,
this is complicated and I am not sure if there is a good solution to achieve
that level of communication without impacting the efficiency of
funcatest/yardstick/... development. I have some ideas:

A) Functest/Yarstick leave the old functionality for a week adding a log saying
"This is going to be deprecated, please check this patch: xxxx"

B) Add gates in functest/yardstick projects which run tests of their customer
projects (as in, SFC is a customer of functest). This way, projects could be
warned on time

C) Do nothing. Sorry, this is the consequence of consuming functest/yardstick
master

D) ??

From what I heard in the TSC, Apex is going to join the XCI philosophy and
allow working with the tip of master, so it seems to me that more functest and
potentially yardstick users are going to hit this problem, that's why I believe
it could be a good time to discuss possible solutions.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to blame functest (or yardstick), I
just want to share the problems we are having with the current ways of working
and try to find a solution :)

Thanks,
Manuel

falsifie. Merci.