Comments etc inline

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T

From: Luke Hinds [mailto:lhi...@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 9:04 AM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (BRYAN L) <bryan.sulli...@research.att.com>
Cc: opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org; degirmenci, fatih
<fatih.degirme...@ericsson.com>; Raymond Paik <rp...@linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [opnfv-tech-discuss] Anteater status and link issue

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 2:32 PM, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (BRYAN L)
<bryan.sulli...@research.att.com<mailto:bryan.sulli...@research.att.com>> wrote:
Hi all,
I’m wondering where the Anteater program is – and want to note a broken link:
build jobs with Anteater violations reference “Please visit:
https://wiki.opnfv.org/x/5oey<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.opnfv.org_x_5oey&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=s4zQHMsxrgVhlTs-Sw4-uGIsKYDMsnIQuvx0TehUoSk&e=>”,
 which is the wiki page
https://wiki.opnfv.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11700198<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.opnfv.org_pages_viewpage.action-3FpageId-3D11700198&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=burTDZjfgUSG9lAKW4MjRDZULxleQEsKGknHvhdqzbA&e=>,
 which says “Project specific exceptions can be added for file_name,
file_contents and binaries, by using the name of the repository within the
anteater/exceptions/ directory of the
releng-anteater<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.opnfv.org_gerrit.opnfv.org-3A29418_releng-2Danteater.git&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=LrWykp0HOa_RUbxOEJDo7sojbPgNgsVsrlV6jmwMVx4&e=>
 repository.” – but that link
(releng-anteater<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.opnfv.org_gerrit.opnfv.org-3A29418_releng-2Danteater.git&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=LrWykp0HOa_RUbxOEJDo7sojbPgNgsVsrlV6jmwMVx4&e=>)
 is broken.
I want to start adding the exceptions for Models etc as an example for the LF
IT team that is setting up the Acumos project gerrit/CI/CD process, and in
general to help optimize the Anteater overhead for projects. I think we need to
get some analysis of the types of exceptions that are typical, and establish a
process for vetting those exceptions that goes beyond a simple review by a
releng committer.
Further, we need to bring in other scan tools (e.g. security vulnerability,
virus, or malicious code scans) into the Anteater process. This is in response
to concerns about the security of the governance process for open source (e.g.
upstream, but also direct contribution in projects) that is used to build
production-oriented systems. We need to demonstrate that OPNFV and other LF
projects are addressing these concerns through their infra toolsets.

Sorry Bryan, I missed a few of these emails thanks (or rather no thanks) to a
bad mail filter rule.
I am working on the following now which we will see soon:
Much better documentation:
http://anteater.readthedocs.io/en/latest/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__anteater.readthedocs.io_en_latest_&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=AdeEyIqajKWRGD1zz3MXcKrWoAWYR6mXmQDgVVzp1Zo&e=>
[bryan] Are you going to start hosting these docs at docs.opnfv.org?
Virus total integration:
   * Any binaries will be scanned using the virus total API, unless a sha256
waiver is already present e.g.
https://github.com/opnfv/releng-anteater/blob/master/exceptions/calipso.yaml#L9<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_opnfv_releng-2Danteater_blob_master_exceptions_calipso.yaml-23L9&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=ML-JPRZQOfToJjMwlJLPlcWimAEwMA5DZGNIrk-cgy0&m=rxS4DJ0v-VW97BzYjY1_yRCmM1znHlxObcXiTIP6RBI&s=WNetEYMktH0pxwVzSJXZyDFVnJr6lIDBhM6laGBrbjs&e=>
   * Any IP addresses / domain name / URL will be scanned (again using the
Virus Total API) for known malware and other nastiness.
[bryan] VirusTotal looks like a useful service. Are there any stats for its
effectiveness at detecting threats, including new threats and delay in
supporting them?
I also have a load of new strings to add to dig out and report anything of a
more recent finding (for example a javascript based bitcoin miner).
[bryan] I would like to see how we can improve the contextual effectiveness of
the pattern matching approach. Any bar (or port in a storm) may seem to be
better than none, and can at least catch newbie mistakes and anti-patterns, but
most of the strings I’ve included in
https://github.com/opnfv/models/blob/master/tools/anteater-exceptions.yaml
relate to IMO innocuous (if admittedly sometimes cheap or anti-patterned) use
of prohibited words. Others, I clearly need to fix.
The project is also hopefully going to move into github (once agreed with LF)
to encourage wider contributions and allow it to be more easily consumed else.
[bryan] Anything that broadens contribution and consumption makes sense to me.
Are there any other open source projects in this same space that you are
considering leveraging, to avoid re-developing features unnecessarily?
Once the above is in place, docs will be clearer to follow, project will be
more presentable, with more coverage in finding vulns will be wider.

[bryan] We probably need more docs re the process for getting exceptions
approved, and how the community can track its effectiveness in the mission
represented by this toolset, through the types of approved exception patterns,
as they grow (or shrink… it would be good to see the community improving
through reduction in the need to maintain exceptions, and partly because the
tool is getting smarter).
Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T

Luke Hinds | NFV Partner Engineering | CTO Office | Red Hat
e: lhi...@redhat.com<mailto:lhi...@redhat.com> | irc: lhinds @freenode | t: +44
12 52 36 2483