FYI

FD.io CSIT has published a document describing a faster way to do the
throughput binary search by combining multiple drop rates into the same binary
search – see attached email.
This is a generalization of the double-rate binary search algorithm introduced
in NFVbench -  augmented with additional time optimization.
They have a python implementation available (running on top of TRex) and the
algorithm itself is not specific to TRex.
I’m looking at ways to make it more portable and available as a library so it
can be reused by different tools. It would certainly be good to see if we could
take the best of Al’s proposal and see if it makes sense to integrate them into
MDR. This will be discussed at the plugfest.

If you have comments, it would be best to send them on the FD.io mailer:
csit-...@lists.fd.io<mailto:csit-...@lists.fd.io>

Thanks

  Alec

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

We have been working on improving NDR/PDR search for CSIT throughput
tests, focusing specifically on reducing the overall search time so that
we could run them more frequently. The result is a new duration aware
multi-phase multi-rate search algorithm, that we call Multiple Drop Rate
(MDR).

Vratko has implemented MDR in FD.io CSIT framework, and run number of
experimental tests fine tuning it. See description and results in
updated CSIT rls1804 report [1].

Based on results to date, in most tests MDR is on average more than 50%
faster than a single NDR binary search.

By introducing MDR in CSIT even with extending trial duration from
current 10sec to 30sec we expect up to 50% reduction in search duration
for finding both NDR and PDR values. So it’s a no brainer .. :)

Welcome all comments.

Cheers,
Vratko & Maciek

[1] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1804/report/vpp_performance_tests/mdr_search.html