Hi Alec and Francois,

I have been doing a few upgrades of TRex for NFVbench, and I’ve included a few
notes here that might be helpful. I can add that I tried this with TRex v2.50.

- First build TRex “as usual”
  - ./b configure
  - ./b build
- Make sure the trex-core directory is available in the container
  - Info about shared directory can be found through ‘docker inspect nfvbench’
- (In container) Move old TRex to backup directory
  - docker exec nfvbench mv /opt/trex/v2.32 /opt/backup_v2.32
- (In container) Create symlink to new TRex
  - docker exec nfvbench ln -s /tmp/nfvbench/trex-core/scripts /opt/trex/v2.32
- (In container) Copy pyzmq from original TRex into new
  - docker exec nfvbench cp -r /opt/backup_v2.32/external_libs/pyzmq-14.5.0
/opt/trex/v2.32/external_libs/
- (In container) Update import of STLServiceARP in trex.py
  - File: nfvbench/nfvbench/traffic_gen/trex.py
  - “from trex_stl_lib.services.trex_stl_service_arp import STLServiceARP”

Similar to what Francois mentions, I have also tried updating the python
libraries, which indeed requires changing STLServiceARP to ServiceARP (and I
think also fixing a typo with STLVmFlowVarRepeatableRandom).

All-in-all I think your upgrade is fine. I haven’t seen any problems from
upgrading this way. As Alec also mentions, the plan is to upgrade TRex in a
(near) future release of NFVbench.

Best Regards,
Michael Pedersen