Team,

A question came up two weeks ago regarding part-time internships for the
fall session.  Originally, I had said that part-time internships would not
be available, due to the fact that the schedule we agreed to earlier this
year has the 2nd session beginning after the end of June, and part-time
internships are contracted for 6 months, and generally need to end by the
end of the calendar year.

The TSC asked me to check with Min to find out whether there is any
flexibility on duration/scheduling for part-time internships.  Min says
that it would be difficult to change the duration of the internship, since
it would require a custom contract that would need contractual and legal
review.  Instead, Min suggested that we maintain the duration and allow the
schedule to go past the calendar year into 2020.  Min believes that she
will be able to continue paying the stipend in 2020 with 2019 budget
dollars. I told her that the TSC had already discussed changing our
scheduling so that we don't face this problem again.

So, going forward, here's what I suggest:

   1. I wasn't available last week, but I see from the minutes that the TSC
   expressed interest in extending the deadline for intern proposals, but
   didn't set a specific date.  Is that correct? If so, I think that the first
   step is to vote on a new deadline.  Just to get us started, I will propose
   Aug 14 as the new deadline.
   2. Revise internship session scheduling for the future.  I see two
   approaches:
      1. Instead of multiple sessions, just have a single session for
      internships at the start of the year.
      2. Continue having two sessions, but pull the schedule in so that the
      interns for the 2nd session are on board before the end of June (perhaps
      sooner, in consideration of end-of-year holidays) so that they may be
      completed by the end of the CY.

Please be prepared to discuss during tomorrow's TSC meeting.  Thanks.

David