Not, this action is performed once karaf is downloaded and before started.
Your problem here is when Pax Exam tries to download Karaf.

The problem is in your pom.xml. Don't you a <repository/> section in your
pom or parent pom ?

Did you try to just add the correct <repository/> in your pom.xml ?

Regards
JB