Is this for one operator (still important, but not necessarily for standardization) or are there several operators who have expressed interest in this?

Yes, we do proactive standards. But the IDR group, for example, tends to be very careful to see if interest is reflected in implementation.

In this case, given that what is proposed is a completely different use of the BGP communities, I think at least more clarity that this is only expected to be used for communities that match the purpose, and of how and why the vendors would implement the router-side logic.

To get back to the points I made in the review:

1) The document needs to be much clearer that it is about new communities whcih are expected to be defined for this use. It needs to be clear if this is expected to be applied to communities put on by other AS, or only to communities provided by routers of the collecting AS. The later leads to understandable configuration. The former leads to questions about hos the meaning will be known.

2) The document needs to be clear and explicit about what processing it is expecting the router to provide, and how much configuration is needed to get the right things to happen.

Yours,
Joel