[Med] The document includes timers that are valid for any transport protocol
(e.g., per-port-timeout, hold-down, etc.). Things are more complicated for the
other timers. For example, one could imagine that the same timer can be used to
timeout any session (e.g., UDP and ICMP), nevertheless we do have different
default/recommended values per transport protocol (e.g., 300s for UDP and 60s
for ICMP). Also, existing implementations/deployments are used to allow for
differentiating the behavior per transport protocol. For TCP, there are more
state compared to UDP, hence the need for more specific timers. Other protocols
may reuse some of these specific timers if needed. This should be described in
an extension document, not in this one.

> As a side node: I myself have been working on a model for a
> protocol-independent state machine a bit (see draft-trammell-plus-
> statefulness;
> now expired); maybe that's a helpful reference to have a quick look at…

[Med] Thank you for the reference.