Hi -

On 2022-02-28 10:45 AM, Jürgen Schönwälder wrote:
Randy,

I assume it is fear of all of that, whether this is justified or not
can be debated. Frankly, we used a protocol registry because it was
handy and we likely did not like a proliferation of registries. In
hindsight, we would have been better off creating our own.

Perhaps, though that would have brought its own coordination problems.

Does it make sense to republish an entire MIB module to just change
the registry location? Ideally this would not be required and we would
simply publish a document updating RFC 6353 and defining the new
registry (and even more so given that no registry content change is
envisioned).

I agree with your analysis that, while a bit of a stretch, an update
to the DESCRIPTION seems like the right thing to do to placate the
TLS folks, since it would not affect the bits on the wire nor, as far
as I can see, what implementations do internally.  My questions were
based in my skepticism with regard to to the stance that *any* MIB
module changes would really be technically (rather than politically)
necessary.

Randy

/js