On Jun 29, 2022, at 2:26 PM, heasley <h...@shrubbery.net> wrote:
> We have received no comments about this draft, which I presume means no
> technical objections exist.  So, I would like to ask the Chairs for an
> adoption call.

  I would suggest that ~3 weeks is a little too short a time frame to claim
that there are no objections.   I'll point to the previous TACACS+ document,
where there were multiple reviews which got addressed by the authors many
months later.

  I'll also point to my earlier review of draft-dahm-tacacs-tls13-00.txt, where
I had concerns with extending the 1990s style TACACS+ packet format.  The same
concerns apply here.

  If we're going to extend TACACS+ by adding major new features, I would
suggest that it's a priority to design these features correctly, the first
time.  Experience shows that it is extremely difficult to extend fixed-field
packet formats.  It's almost always better to use an extensible format, as with
DHCPv4, DHCPv4, DNS options, YANG, RADIUS, Diameter, etc.

  Using a format with fixed fields now makes it more difficult to extend
TACACS+ in the future.  There will just be one complex format added after
another.  The alternative is instead to define an extensible format, in which
case new extensions become trivial.

  Alan DeKok.