Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-9092-update-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-9092-update/

COMMENT:

All of the SHOULDs in Section 3 seemed to lack some prose about why one might
legitimately deviate from the advice presented.  Absent that, I'm wondering why
they aren't all MUSTs.

===

Feedback from Orie Steele, incoming ART AD:

"An optional utterly awesome but slightly complex means for authenticating
geofeed data is also defined in ..."

Not sure how I feel about that many modifiers in front of security topics, such
as "authenticating".

Thanks for the ARTART review, given the emphasis on UTF-8, it would be nice to
see samples that include international names, and characters.

"This SHOULD NOT be used for bulk retrieval of geofeed data."

Under what circumstances SHOULD it be used for bulk retrieval?

In Section 5:

"It is a digest of the main body of the file signed by the private key of the
relevant RPKI certificate for a covering address range."

I think you mean digest of the canonicalized UTF-8 bytes produced according to
the procedure that follows.

"For robustness, any non-printable characters MUST NOT be changed by
canonicalization."

This seems risky, is there a common understanding of non printable characters?

"Any end-of-file marker used by an operating system is not considered to be
part of the file content. When present, such end-of-file markers MUST NOT be
covered by the digital signature."

This mounts to a deny list, that is not specified... seems risky.

I suspect many signatures might fail to validate due to differences in the
canonicalization implementations, it would be good to provide a complete set of
test vectors for this approach.