[CC-ing OPSAWG list as this discussion should also be archived there]

Hi, Brian,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. Please see my reply inline…

-----Original Message-----
From: Sipos, Brian J. [mailto:brian.si...@jhuapl.edu]
Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2024 12:36 AM
To: maqiufang (A) <maqiufa...@huawei.com>; t...@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ma-opsawg-schedule-y...@ietf.org
Subject: RE: New Version Notification for draft-ma-opsawg-schedule-yang-04.txt

Qiufang,

I very much appreciate the expressiveness of the current draft schedule

options, and I think that these schedules fit well with the proposals and

discussions from TVR WG.

[Qiufang] Thanks for the feedback, glad to know;-)

One aspect of the current repetition-of-event logic is that (I think) it does

not allow for time-aligned sequences to repeat. Currently if there was a

config change event that happened at time T (on a repeating schedule) and a

different change at time T+D (on the same repeating schedule) it seems like

this would require two synchronized schedules. Is that correct? There is

currently no way to have a single repeating schedule with 'internal' (to the

repetition cycle) time offsets?

[Qiufang] I think maybe you are referring to the model design in the appendix
B, right? Because this draft simply normatively defines a set of groupings
associated with scheduling without restricting how those groupings should be
used.

And in the way the model designed in the appendix B.1, yes, if there is a
backup task that is time aligned with another one, it seems that it would still
require two schedules given the schedule groupings are used to describe each
backup task event.

I think it is acceptable if one configuration backup task always happens
consistently with another same task, clearly one of them is redundant.

But I also understand in some cases the events might be different, e.g., the
configuration being backed up at time T is different from another backup at
time T+D. I think this is still achievable if we model it slightly differently,
e.g., see the following fictional model:

list events {

  key “name”;

  leaf name {…}

  //define your event here.

}

container schedule {

  uses schedule:icalendar-recurrence;

}  // the schedule info related to the list of events

I believe this is something that won’t be excluded in the draft.  Is this what
you have in mind?

A comment about the way that the schedule is attached to existing data nodes

in Section B.2 example: this kind of schedule model requires that each data

node to be modified on a schedule has a kind of duplication of definition (the

"default-bandwidth" node and the "scheduled-bandwidth" node need to be aligned

in definition and implicitly refer to the same time-varying parameter). If

instead the schedule contained an "instance-identifier" leaf, to identify the

value being changed, and an "anydata" leaf, to indicate the new value, this

would avoid duplicate node definition and make the schedule more extensible

(in a similar way to how yang-patch functions, but schedule-driven rather than

manager-driven).

[Qiufang] The example in Appendix B.2 is very similar to the one in
draft-united-tvr-schedule-yang-00. We are documenting this example to show how
the authors of I-D. united-tvr-schedule-yang could use the groupings in I-D.
ma-opsawg-schedule-yang to meet their requirements.

It is not asking TVR to follow this way, just an example that could be
possible. I think it may also depend on how the discussion around I-D.
united-tvr-schedule-yang would evolve, and we may consider removing/adjusting
this example accordingly.

In your way, are you referring to a schedule-centric model design like the
following:

list schedules {

  key “name”;

  leaf name {…}

  uses schedule:recurrence-with-date-times;

  anydata values;   // the scheduled values when each recurrence time instance
arrives

}

Note: Actually I think a node-instance-identifier/instance-identifier leaf is
not needed as the set of nodes with its values are already specified inside
anydata node.

I can see some benefits to model this way, since we try to show some
flexibility in the way scheduling contexts are defined, maybe this is worth
documenting in the draft as another example as well. The authors will take this
into consideration, thanks a lot.

Thanks for your consideration,

Brian S.

Best Regards,