On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 8:53 AM Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Erik Kline via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org> wrote:
> > ## Comments
>
> I got your nits in my copy.
>
>     > * I suggest finding some text to point to that defines what a
>     > "geofenced" name is.  Right now this feels like the kind of thing that
>     > everyone "just knows what it means", but could use some formal
>     > description.
>
> Ugh.  I don't think we have any RFC that defines it.  It's not in 8499bis.
> Maybe someone else has an idea for a good reference.

I asked on a DNS directorate + wg chairs sync earlier today and nobody
seemed to have in mind either (a) a single good reference nor (b) a
single good definition for a "geofenced name".

Perhaps we can begin by clarifying what it means to you?  In mind
there were two alternatives; roughly:

    [a] a name for which a DNS authoritative will hand out different
RRs depending on the client src IP (conceptual proxy for geolocation),
or

    [b] a name for which a DNS authoritative will either hand out some
RRs **or** return NODATA or some kind of error to others, as a
function of client IP.

Are either of those close to what you mean?