Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-12

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is a nice piece of work,
clear and easy to read.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

Special thanks to Henk Birkholz for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus and the *very light* justification of the intended status.

Please note that Dave Thaler is the IoT directorate reviewer (at my request)
and you may want to consider this iot-dir review as well when it will be
available (no need to wait for it though):
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations/reviewrequest/19052/

You may also expect an Int-dir review as:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations/reviewrequest/19051/
(not yet assigned though)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Absence of mDNS

Is mDNS used in the context of MUD ? If so, then it should be mentioned here.

## Abstract

Let's be positive s/This document details concerns /This document details
considerations /

## Section 1

s/Some Enterprises do this already. /Some organisations do this already. / ?
(e.g., governmental agencies, ...)

Suggest to put the sentence `The first section of this document...` on its own
1-sentence paragraph.

## Section 3

Suggest to always use "DNS names" rather than plain "names". Applicable in
several places in the document.

Isn't the mapping from address to DNS names usually called "reverse mapping" ?
E.g., section 3.1.3 uses `reverse names`.

## Section 3.1

Suggest to add "often" in the too assertive sentence `Attempts to map IP
address to names in real time fails for a number of reasons`.

## Section 3.1.2

`They could determine when a home was occupied or not`: actually when I leave
home to travel (e.g., to IETF-119) most of my IoT devices are still active as I
want to 'control' my home from remote.

## Section 3.1.3

`Service providers` is rather vague in this context, is it the access/internet
SP or a hosted-IoT-service ?

## Section 3.2

It seems indeed to be the most obvious technique. So obvious that it should be
given a hint in the introduction.

Is there a common use case where the MUD controller is changing location ?
I.e., then having different forward DNS resolution answers ? I would also
expect the authoritative geo-sensitve servers will use a short DNS TTL in their
answers.

## Section 4

Thanks for pointing me to "antipatterns", I learned something :-) OTOH, I had
to follow the link to understand the paragraph :-(

## Section 4.3

Unsure whether using a real case with Amazon is useful here...

## Section 5

Whether the MUD devices and the MUD controllers use the same recursive resolver
is probably orthogonal to the use of DoT/DoH.

## Section 6

AFAIK, LLDP can also be used per RFC 8520 in addition to DHCP to retrieve the
MUD string.

## Section 6.5

The section title is about `Prefer DNS servers learnt from DHCP/Route
Advertisements` but the text is only about DHCP.

Btw, the exact wording is "Route*r* Advertisement" and a reference to RFC 8106
could be useful.

Which are the reasons in `There are a number of reasons to avoid this` ?

## Section 7

`The use of non-local DNS servers exposes the list of names resolved to a third
party` even if the recursive resolution is done 'locally' (i.e., on a CPE) it
will leak the MUD requests, we could argue that using a non-local recursive
resolver will only expose the requests to this non-local server but not to the
actual authoritative server.