Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-mud-iot-dns-considerations/

COMMENT:

No objection from transport layer specific issues, however, this was not a easy
read for me. It often convolutes process steps with practice, issues and
recommendations, hence hard to follow.

I strongly support Paul's discuss points.

I have following comments/questions and I believe the document will be enriched
if those are addressed:

 - Abstract : it says -

      This document details concerns about how Internet of Things devices use
      IP addresses and DNS names.

   I am with the impression that these concerns are not for the entire
   community of IoT devices, rather for those uses MUD and wanted to use DNS.
   Also detailing only concerns does not seem the entire goal of this document.
   Why does the document start with such statement?

 - Please define "antipattern" in this document. I understand it comes from an
 external source, any day that definition can change and the usage of
 "antipattern" in this document may become out of context. It is better to
 agree on what the "antipattern" means in the context of this document.

 - Section 1 : This references to sections to describe particular things and
 that reference does not map to the section numbers of this document. I think
 there is not need to such calling out of sections in the introduction, it is
 confusing.

 - Section 1 :

          The third section of this document details how current trends in DNS
          resolution such as public DNS servers, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over
          QUIC (DoQ), and DNS over HTTPS (DoH) cause problems for the
          strategies employed.

   Where can I find the promised details? DoQ is only mentioned once in later
   sections.

- Section 6:
   - Please explain the geofenced name before providing recommendations for it.
   - How should the manufacturers interpret "strong recommendation" ? Is there
   any particular reason not to use normative text here?