Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanand...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Please work with ITU liaison, Scott Mansfield, if the WG thinks a
response needs to be sent.

    >> Body: Abstract: This liaison statement informs ITU-T SG20, ITU-T SG13
    >>and IETF that SG11, particularly Q12/11, initiated a new work item:
    >>ITU-T Q.MUD_IoT “Framework for testing and monitoring IoT devices &
    >>networks using technical Requirements from Manufacturer Usage
    >>Description (MUD)”.
    >>
    >> During the ITU-T SG11 meeting (Geneva, 01-10 May 2024), Q12/11
    >>(Testing of internet of things, its applications and identification
    >>systems) initiated a new work item: ITU-T Q.MUD_IoT “Framework for
    >>testing and monitoring IoT devices & networks using technical
    >>Requirements from Manufacturer Usage Description (MUD)”.
    >>
    >> ITU-T Q.MUD_IoT aims to propose a standardized framework for testing
    >>and monitoring IoT devices & networks using technical requirements from
    >>the Manufacturer Usage Description (MUD). This recommendation will also
    >>focus on test scenarios and compliance criteria relevant to the
    >>behaviour and communication patterns of IoT devices with mandatory
    >>requirements of MUD RFC 8520. It does not cover test scenarios that
    >>verify implementation of other network components such as MUD
    >>Controller/manager.

I wish the ITU-T SG13 good luck.
The work that has been described would seem to nearly impossible to do.
Certainly very difficult to do in a black-box testing scenario.

In order to verify *compliance* of a device, it will, I think, be necessary
to convince the device to actually *do* all the things that it can.  Then
observe if the MUD file actually allows all those things.

Aside from the difficulty of getting vendors to produce MUD files *at all*, I
have no idea how SG13 plans to convince an IoT device to do all its things.

So my liason reply would be: "Sounds great.  Please email m...@ietf.org if
there are details you need help with"

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )