From: OPSEC <opsec-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of tirumal reddy
<kond...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 20 June 2023 at 08:08
To: "sec...@ietf.org" <sec...@ietf.org>, "last-c...@ietf.org"
<last-c...@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-opsec-probe-attribution....@ietf.org"
<draft-ietf-opsec-probe-attribution....@ietf.org>, "opsec@ietf.org"
<opsec@ietf.org>
Subject: [OPSEC] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-opsec-probe-attribution

Reviewer: Tirumaleswar Reddy
Review result:  Ready with issues

IESG. These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat

The summary of the review is Ready with issues.

[1]
      else (or in addition), the Probe Description URI is
      "https://[2001:db8::dead]/.well-known/probing.txt";.  In this case,
      there might be a certificate verification issue.

Comment> It is possible to get a certificate with IP address from a public CA
(see https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8738).

EV> good catch, text amended

[2]

You may want to consider referring to
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-hbh-processing/,
It discusses HBH option processing by intermediate nodes and recommendations to
process new HBH options.

EV> I would prefer not to refer to a draft (and I fear that the 6MAN HbH is far
from being published).

[3]
I suggest discussing the privacy implications that an eavesdropper will be able
to view the PII data in the Probe.

EV> Added some note in the security section that no PII should be in the Probe
Description (notably no personal address/email/phone). Good catch.

[4]
   As a consequence, the recipient of this information cannot trust it
   without confirmation. If a recipient cannot confirm the information
   or does not wish to do so, it should treat the flows as if there were
   no probe attribution.

Comment> How can the recipient of the probe information validate it is
authentic for confirmation ?

EV> applying common sense and doing some basic verification (e.g., is the email
address valid ?). This is all about good faith.

Cheers,
-Tiru