Hi, for anonymity konqueror is one of the best browsers, because you can turn off the browser and os identification, as you can see on
http://proxydetect.com/ And you can switch off the referrer by adding the following text to your ~/.kde/share/config/kio_httprc to disable the sending of the HTTP referrer when following links. Note that this might break some web pages. [General] SendReferrer=false Greets > -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- > Von: [email protected] > Gesendet: 20.01.08 09:07:32 > An: [email protected] > Betreff: Re: Konqueror & SOCKS with Tor+Privoxy > > --- Ringo Kamens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Using konqueror with tor can be dangerous. Since > > it's not just a browser (also a desktop system), it > > handles lots of different types of files such as > > videos etc. > > This does not sound like a very fair assessment of > konqueror, in fact I would almost qualify this as FUD. > It sounds more like you don't really know if > konqueror is secure or not and are simply assuming the > worst about it. (If you do know, please forgive me, I > am just pointing out that it sounds like you are > guessing.) > > Video files a konqueror specific thing? Come on, most > people are running firefox and windows. These > inherently support video/flash/java/javascript much > better than most free linux distributions (which is > probably what konqueror is running on.) So with that > logic a konqueror installation which does not have > proprietary video support is going to be less > susceptible to the types of vulnerabilities that you > are suggesting. However, I agree that konqueror is > more extensible in some sense than most other > browsers, and this should seriously be considered when > making an evaluation. > > I will not make a specific judgment that konqueror is > better or worse than firefox, but I certainly would > not rule it out so quickly. The default install of > konqueror is much more tweakable than firefox at > turning certain things off such as java, javascript, > browser-id strings, adds, plugins, various file/MIME > type support... Many of those things are in fact off > by default until turned on! The only thing that I am > aware of that konqueror cannot easily turn off for tor > usage is the HTTP_REFFERER string. > > But, I will be happy to hear about any specific known > problems of using konqueror with tor. If you know of > any, please let us know! I use konqueror with tor, > but I do not have any actual need for anonymity, I > just think that it is fun. :) > > -Martin > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. > http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ >

