On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:43:53AM +0200, David Kammering wrote: > I'm currently looking for a new dedicated server to run a exit node on. > There is a quite interesting offer from EUServ but it is an Intel Atom > 230 platform. > > Are there any experiences running Tor on that platform?
While I have not run a Tor exit with an Atom, I ran a Tor exit 85.31.186.61 with EUServ. The bandwidth was okayish initially (1 MByte/s throughput on an advertised 10 MBit/s flat rodent) but then decayed down to 177 kByte/s. I complained, to no avail. I then terminated the contract (duration one year). Also, when I received a faxed complaint from BKA accusing me of peddling kiddie pr0n the server went offline a few days before the contract expired, and EUServ support (always sluggish) went completely incommunicado. Methinks the server was seized for forensic examination. It isn't too far-fetched to conjecture they logged the entire traffic on authority request, and then yielded the Tor node key for subsequent decryption. > The other stats are quite nice: 1 Gig Ram, unlimited 100MBit/sec Traffic > etc. The provider told me that they have no problems with running exit > nodes in their network, they even list Tor as possible application in > their offers. This smells. Caveat emptor. Use EUServ as middleman at best, if you must. -- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org ______________________________________________________________ ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://www.ativel.com http://postbiota.org 8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

