Yes, exactly.

If you scratch below the surface, and ask "why" (in terms
of social theory), you may come to realize that in american
technical culture there are two broad categories:

 1) populists/populizers
     (make products that are ugly, but cheap)

 2) technical elites
     (make products that are beautiful, but expensive)

Basically MS = #1, and Unix/Oracle/etc = #2

Oracle corp.'s "organizational culture" is simply incapable
of acting on "populist logic" because such logic runs
contrary to the "value system" (and/or aesthetic preferences)
of the technical elites.

Neither "position" is inherently more "good" than the other
since they simply represent forms/expressions of different
perspectives that arise from underlying universal archetypes.

regards,
ep

On 2 Feb 2001, at 10:39, Nikolay Kumanov wrote:

Date sent:              Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:39:50 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Author: Eric D. Pierce