Title: NOT OT! - identify which logs are need to start recovery

You are right Rahul.  Oracle determines if recovery is necessary by comparing the SCN of the datafiles with the control file.  This is part of what goes on when a database opens.  The log sequence numbers and the SCN range associated with each log file are stored in the control file also, I believe.  List, please correct me if I am wrong.

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Rahul [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 3:06 AM
To: 'Koivu, Lisa'; 'Oracle List I'
Subject: RE: identify which logs are need to start recovery

Lisa/List,

when we restore a datafile from a backup, oracle will check the change# in
the header of the datafile
and will try to match it with the one in the controlfile, correct ? that's
how oracle will know that the file
is out-of-sync, now oracle will prompt from the change# as well as the log
sequence number to apply !!

from where does it get the log sequence number ? is it sotred in each
datafile ? or oralce queries it
from v$log_history ?

Rahul