Hello List,

For those of you that use Perl or would like to use Perl for your
regular DBA tasks, I have a request.

Do you have any tasks you perform with a series of SQL scripts,
shell scripts, etc, that you feel are somewhat of a kludge?

Have you every asked yourself " There must be a better way to
do this?"

Or do you just have a wishlist of tools that would make day to day
DBA life easier, but feel that it's too complex or unwieldy to tackle
with PL/SQL and SQL*Plus?

I'm looking for just those kinds of ideas for a project I'm working on.

No ideas too silly or complicated.  Granted, they may be too silly or
complicated to actually implement, but you never know.  No idea is
a bad idea until it's thought through.

Come to think of it, the same holds true for good ideas also.

Anyway, let's hear it!

Some examples of tools that I have used in Perl:

* Create multiple users from a CSV file generated from MS Excel.  Works
  great when someone asks for 100 users to be created.

* Monitor databases for SNIPED sessions then KILL them.

* Monitor  the alert.log for Errors and mail to DBA's and or selectect
   other individuals.  Errors can be filtered by type and selectively mailed.
   I've used this for duhvelopers that don't want to be bothered with
   error trapping and send hundreds of emails to the DBA's due to their
   error messages.  Que's up messages for 5 minutes or 100 messages,
   whichever comes first ( avoids swamping the mail server in a crisis )

*  How about a way to serve up passwords to users for use with command
   line utilities in a secure manner?  Oh wait, I don't have that one yet.

As you can see, I have a wishlist too.  Lemme hear what you would like!

TIA

Jared

Author: Jared Still