Mitchell,

if ur current Log_checkpoint_interval is 2097152 (20 mb) then
is ur os block size = 20 mb/2097152 = 10 bytes?
look like is ur want to say that Log_checkpoint_interval = 20971520

but Log_checkpoint_interval shld be set ito OS blocks.
so if u want to set to 20 mb then assuming ur os block size is 512 bytes
then
Log_checkpoint_interval = 40960

Assume this is set to 40960.  Oracle continually calculates the address of
the redo record that was written 40960 records (OS blocks) ago.  In order to
satisfy this parameter, the checkpoint position must advance at least as far
as this redo record.  Should the checkpoint position point to a redo record
written earlier than this target position (written over 40960 records before
the record at the end of the log), Oracle writes dirty buffers and advances
the checkpoint until it points at a redo record written less than 40960
records ago.  Should the checkpoint position point to a redo record newer
than this target position (written less than 40960 records ago), Oracle does
nothing to satisfy this target for it is already satisfied.

-Mandar

Author: Mandar Ghosalkar