Bon dia Nuno!

bummer on the hacker stuff.

my goal, after learning spanish/catalan and arabic, is portugese, and
then going to Brazil. :)

if you are interested in mysticism, check out Ibn-al-Arabi, "The
Great Andulsian" muslim philosopher. There is a new book published by
White Cloud Press:
   http://www.whitecloudpress.com/books/mercifier_excerpt.html

btw, I noticed that your link to Antonio Gaudi and La Sagrada Familia
is dead:

  http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/rants.htm

note: despite the fantastic, outrageous & trippy look of his organic
architecture, Gaudi's work was rooted in "conservative" aesthetics
(medieval/gothic) and Gaudi hoped to inspire a return to traditional
catalan values (note the many religious themes, such as St. George
slaying the dragon, etc.). Gaudi's work was part of a larger reaction
to the industrial/counter-industrial/leftist trends that were eroding
traditional cultural innovation and creativity. Thus Gaudi is seen by
contemporary "progressives" as a tragic figure. Of course for people
that realize that the great passion and drama of humanity involves
atonement and redemption, not the fashionable nonsense of "secular
salvation" via political ideology (Ivan Illich), Gaudi's work is a
supreme example of "raging against the machine".

some alternatives from google.com search on "catalunya gaudi":

http://www.kcnet.com/~marc/gaudi.html
-
http://www.op.net/~jmeltzer/gaudi.html
-
http://sagfam.deakin.edu.au/english/Contents/contents.htm
-
 http://www.bcn.es/english/turisme/reportat/moder/ilmoder.htm
-
 http://www.bcn.es/english/turisme/reportat/aire/ilaire.htm
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/giralt/giralt02.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/marmengol/fotoma09.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/marmengol/fotoma07.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/belver/mila03.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/giralt/giralt01.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/giralt/giralt14.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/cr05.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/fotocr03.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/cr03.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/cr09.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/fris/foto05.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/fris/foto01.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/fris/foto19.jpg
-
(classic catalan decorative iron work, modernisme style):

http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/cr08.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/catala-roca/fotocr07.jpg
-
http://www.gaudi2002.bcn.es/english/flash/H/Html/enimatge/fris/foto11.jpg
-
(http://gaudi.hypermart.net/fotos/)

Rural Catalunya: http://www.turismerural.com/index.htm
-
misc turisme: http://195.77.241.12/angles/webs_inf.htm
-

While visiting my wife's relatives, somewhere outside Barcelona (near
Mataro?) is a small town where I saw some remnants of one of Gaudi's
very early projects (before he became well known), buildings and
decorations of a worker's cooperative built around a textile mill
(one of the main industries in fin de cicle catalunya).  It is
amazing that they had 2,000 workers, and all the agriculture,
infrastructure, education, etc. organized in a cooperative framework.
Of course the coop social institutions were all destroyed in the
civil war (most older people there who were kids then remember eating
potato skins becase of food shortages and seeing/hearing german dive
bombers). On the other side, anarchists almost assasinated my wife's
grandfather during the civil war because he owned a textile factory.

regards,
ep