This one's got me stumped.  We are on 8.0.4 on Sun Solaris 2.6.

I have some locally indexed partitions on a table that's
partitioned by time.   I dropped the '96 and '95 partitions
of the underlying table and I no longer see them.  I used
the following statements:

alter table xx  truncate partition 95 drop storage;
alter table xx drop partition 95;

According to the documentation, the corresponding
'95 and '96 index partitions (for a locally indexed table
which I confirmed that it is using the LOCALITY column
of dba_ind_partitions) should be dropped automatically.
However, when I query dba_ind_partitions view, I can still
see them.

Documentation says I can not specifically drop index
partitions of locally indexed tables (can only do this
for globally indexed tables).  I actually tried to drop
these partitions and Oracle gave me an error message
saying I couldn't do it because it was a local index.

I thought these index partition 95 and 96 would go away.
Why do I still see them?  We will rebuild the index tonight
but I can't rebuild the whole index right now - too much
performance degredation.

I'm just curious about what is going on.   Do I need to
refresh something?   Is there anything low-impact I can
do right now to make these index partitions go away?
Do I even need to care?

Thanks for any kind soul with answers.

Cherie Machler
Gelco Information Network