Thank you to everyone who responded to my request.  I guess it's just a
limitation of sqlldr that it can't handle this without modifying the data.
Unfortunately, I can't have the source change their download, so I have to deal
with the data as I get it.
    I did come up with a way to get around the problem.  I created a text field
for the time and created an on-insert trigger that appends the time to the date
field and puts it back into the date field.  That works at the minimal cost of a
few extra bytes per record and a small amount of extra processing time.  Here is
the trigger that I came up with:

TRIGGER rit_cyber_hist_i
before insert on rit_cyber_hist
for each row
begin
   :new.trans_date := to_date(to_char(:new.trans_date,'mm/dd/yy ') ||
:new.time_char,'mm/dd/yy hh24:mi');
end;

Author: Scott Canaan