Tracy,

You may know that there were no modifications to the
master table made from the time the snapshot log was
dropped until it was recreated, but Oracle can't take
that chance, otherwise data could get out of sync.
That's why you have to either recreate your snapshot
or do a complete refresh if the snapshot log is
recreated.

To avoid recreating the snapshots I would ask why you
need to reorg your master tables (i.e. what do you
hope to accomplish by this)?  If you're doing it for
defragmentation reasons, I suggest you check out the
excellent white paper "How to stop defragmenting and
start living..." to see if this is really necessary.

http://www.vampired.net/articles/files/stopfrag.zip

HTH,

-- Anita

Author: A. Bardeen