Andrea,

See the delete_oldfiles.bat I posted for an example of checking for a
parameter.

Do something like
  IF "%1"=="" echo No parameter 1 passed.

Books

I haven't tried these but some have suggested:

Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book By Jesse Torres

Windows NT Shell Scripting  Macmillan Technical Publishing
   ISBN 1-57870-047-7

Resources NT batch specific

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=alt.msdos.batch.nt

UltraTech knowledge base
http://www.ultratech-llc.com/Personal/Files/?File=ResKit.TXT

JSI Windows NT/2000 Tips, Tricks, Registry Hacks and more...
http://www.jsiinc.com/Reghack.htm#Tip%20Index

NT/Win2k scripting - good on bat differences between NT and DOS
http://www.seanet.com/~shardy/ntscript.html

Resources batch general:

Batfiles: The DOS batch file programming handbook and tutorial - good
examples and hints / tricks
http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/

DOS Batch Language: A personal view by Ted Davis - good intro for beginners
http://131.151.112.77/~batch/batchtoc.htm

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=alt.msdos.batch

Multilingual Batch Programs
http://gearbox.maem.umr.edu/~batch/multilingual.html

Programs by Prof. Timo Salmi  - THE author of the alt.msdos.batch FAQ
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/ts.html  and then search for
tsbat67.zip 184193 Mar 8 11:16
A collection of useful batch files and tricks, T.Salmi

Have fun,
Bruce