I looked at these online today.  The Sun RAM and hard drives are outrageously expensive!  However,...

---- re: RAM ---

Under FAQs, it says:

2. Is this memory proprietary?
No. The memory used in the Sun Blade 100 is industry standard.

3. Why buy Sun memory?
This family of memory products are priced competitively and are tested, approved and qualified by Sun.

Elsewhere it says: "168-pin JEDEC DRAM with error correction."

So, I appears that it will take decent non-SUN RAM.  I would certainly argue with the statement that Sun RAM is "priced competitively"!  Check out www.crucial.com - on the front page it says:
"256MB upgrade for Sun Blade 100 Workstation $70.19 "
(128MB and 512MB modules are also available.)  Sun wants about $300!  Crucial's web price is even lower - $63.89!

--- re: second EIDE disk ---

Hmmm...  For about $300, the same price as Sun's 15 GB disk, one can get a retail
IBM 75GB EIDE Ultra ATA/100  LP Deskstar 7200 RPM 75GXP.  Will it work in the Blade 100?

--- re: other ---
I'm not sure whether the Sun 17" or 21" monitors are decently priced, but the resolutions and refresh rates are certainly not spectacular.  The SCSI card doesn't seem like a bargain and the video cards are certainly not.  So,...

Has anyone tried a third-party SCSI controller?  A third party PCI video card?  Third party monitor?

-Don Granaman
[Certifiable OraSaurus]