Hi Jared,

My post was to meant to imply that (say) if (in a
single query - and thats the important bit I missed
out) there were two tables, one with stats, and one
without, then the one without will use defaults (as
quoted in chapter 8 of the same manual)

I was trying to imply that if you've only got half the
stats, then on a query-by-query basic, you're most
likely to toggle between

- 'good' CHOOSE (since all the stats are present for
the objects in this query)
- 'bad' CHOOSE (since some defaults are chosen for
object missing statistics)
- RULE (for queries where all objects have no stats)

Cheers
Connor

--- Jared Still <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On
Tuesday 05 June 2001 01:20, Connor McDonald
> wrote:
> > Sounds like nonsense to me...If you have "half"
> > statistics, then the optimizer is going to use
> > defaults for the others,
>
> Conner,
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> From the Optimizer chapter in the tuning manual:
>
> If the data dictionary contains statistics for at
> least one of the accessed
> tables, then the optimizer uses a cost-based
> approach and optimizes with a
> goal of best throughput. If the data dictionary
> contains no statistics for
> any of the accessed tables, then the optimizer uses
> a rule-based approach.
> This is the default value for the parameter.

> If the optimizer uses the cost-based approach for a
> SQL statement, and if
> some tables accessed by the statement have no
> statistics, then the optimizer
> uses internal information (such as the number of
> data blocks allocated to
> these tables) to estimate other statistics for these
> tables.
>

> That coupled with the fact that when viewing the
> plan table you can see
> the CBO's use of the statistic would make me think
> otherwise.
>
> Is there some documentation that I missed that
> supports the CBO using
> defaults for analyzed tables when some of them are
> _not_ analyzed?
>
> Or did I just misunderstand your post?
>
> Jared
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Jared Still
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=