Given that OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING is presumably meant
to the indicative of how much of an index is cached,
then setting it to your buffer hit ratio would seem
like a reasonable starting point.

Cheers
Connor

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > Oracle
8.0.5.2.1   <-- yeah, I know I know... we are
> going to 8.1.7
> eventually
> AIX 4.3.3
>

> Hey all....    Looking at our init parameters today
> after reading Tim
> Gorman's White Paper "The Search for Intelligent
> Life in the Cost Based
> Optimizer" and these 2 stood out like a sore thumb.
>  Both are at the
> default values:
>
> OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ = 100
> OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING = 0
>
> We have an OLTP and a DSS database and I am looking
> at changing the
> OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING = 90 for both and setting
> the
> OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ to a reasonable value based
> on db sequential reads
> vs. db scattered reads as a guideline....  any
> suggestions/recommendations/words of
> warning/flogging?    There is some
> scattered info on this on Metalink but I'm looking
> for some real-world
> improvements or headaches.
>
> Thanks to all in advance and hopefully I won't have
> to type  HELP so
> someone can ask me if I'm an idiot....
>
> :-)
>

> John D.
>

> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=