As far as I can work out, DBMS_STATS is purely for
optimizer decisions (presumably thats why they didn't
call it DBMS_ANALYZE).

(If you believe the doco) you can get faster and
better stats with DBMS_STATS (particularly in terms of
partition-wise stats).

I'm using both at the moment, in my case, a weekly
dbms_stats to help the optimiser, and a monthly
analyze to help me (chain rows etc etc).

hth
connor

--- Gene Sais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Oracle 8.1.7
> AIX 4.3.3
>
> I looked at the docs and it appears Oracle wants you
> to use dbms_stats to generate statistics for cbo.  I
> am currently using dbms_utility.analyze_schema.
>
> Should I change to dbms_stats (i know it doesnt give
> you chained rows, avg free space, # of unused
> blocks)?  Are there any advantages over
> dbms_utility.analyze_schema?
>
> What does everyone here use to generate their stats?
>
> Thanks.
> Gene
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Gene Sais
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=