----- Original Message -----
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 11:15 AM

Well there is no need to specify  the alter system archive log start  as
you have already done this by specifying the log_archive_start=true in the
init.ora.  Try 'alter system switch logfile' command a couple of times and
see if anything is written to disk.  Check using 'archive log list' command
it should show u the status of archive.

Regards

                    murosa@bankin
                    ter.es               To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    Sent by:             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    root@fatcity.        cc:
                    com                  Subject:     Database in archivelog
mode

                    22-Jun-2001
                    01:15 AM
                    Please
                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

                    Sender Info:
                    No Sender
                    Info found in
                    the address
                    Book

     Hi folks.

     I  have  a very strange behavour in a database. I want to put database
in    archivelog    mode,   I've   changed   log_archive_start   to   true,
log_archive_dest_1 to a location where I can write and log_archive_start to
true. Then I follow next sequence:

          shutdown immediate;
          startup mount
          alter database archivelog;
          alter database open;
          alter system archive log start;

     In third step I get:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01126: database must be mounted EXCLUSIVE and not open for this
operation.

     Next two sentence are executed correctly. When I select * from
v$instance; I've got
SQL> select * from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NUMBER INSTANCE_NAME
--------------- ----------------
HOST_NAME
VERSION           STARTUP_T STATUS  PAR    THREAD# ARCHIVE LOG_SWITCH_
----------------- --------- ------- --- ---------- ------- -----------
LOGINS     SHU DATABASE_STATUS   INSTANCE_ROLE
---------- --- ----------------- ------------------
              2 webspher2
ebkppr02
8.1.6.3.0         21-JUN-01 OPEN    YES          2 STARTED
ALLOWED    NO  ACTIVE            PRIMARY_INSTANCE

in both instance, because is an OPS.

     Initalization parameter remote_login_password is exclusive. I know
that I have an error but I don't  know which and why,
but it doesn't work in archivelog mode.

     Anybody can help me?.

     Thank you very much in advance.

     Miguel Urosa.

                   ____________________________________
"Este  mensaje  y  los  documentos  que,  en  su caso, lleve anexos, pueden
contener  información  confidencial. Por ello, se informa a quien lo reciba
por error que la información contenida en el mismo es reservada y su uso no
autorizado  está prohibido  legalmente, por lo que en tal caso  le  rogamos
que  nos  lo  comunique  por la misma vía o por teléfono (901 113 113) , se
abstenga  de realizar copias del mensaje  o  remitirlo o entregarlo  a otra
persona y proceda a borrarlo de inmediato."

Visit us at www.singaporeair.com.

Author: Saurabh Sharma