-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 12:27
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

depends on the version of the database you are running.. it used to be that
yes, you could just rename it and Oracle would open a new one of the
original name when it needed to write to it.

In 8.? and above, you can no longer just rename it, Oracle now maintains an
open file pointer to it, similar to the way it handles the listener log
file. So you will need to do the same sort of tricks to the alert log as you

have to do to the listener log (make a copy then copy /dev/null to the
original)
Author: Jesse, Rich