Partition. Even on 7, obvious in this case would be
partition views with maybe some changes in the app. Or
maybe not depending the app.

Stripping. Oracle stripping and OS stripping.

Freelists. It seems that the app insert and query.
Because of the inserts it is a perfect case of
freelists. If you the database is on 8.1.6, you can
change the freelists through alter table.

Reorg. If you could afford to throw the old data from
the table to a backup or another database, would be
great. In another database the users could query the
old data, just like in the production one. Because
sometimes Dev and the users prefer to leave the table
growing and leaving old data behind and they don't
admit that the data they use is only 10% of the table
and the newest. I don't know maybe I am wrong because
you said it is a customer one.

Try to keep Oracle means of mantaining referential
integrity away from the table. I mean foreign keys or
integrity controled by triggers. The less fk they
need, less indexes need to be created. And those
indexes always seem to be a nightmare when you use
rule optimizer. Because they are choosen by Oracle and
in most of the cases they don't have a good
selectivity. What I am saying maybe it is a thing
argue a lot. However I've seen contrary to popular
opinion that in big tables it is better to control the
referential intergrity through the app..

Partition indexes too.

Haven't you seen some ORA-1555 when you have a lot of
users querying the table and adding data ?. Because
for a main table like that in a place I've been, we
implemented the table in a cluster.

Regards.

=====
Eng. Christian Trassens