This is just a stab in the dark:

I have never used a \ when installing patches so try running the command on
a single line
like this:

# swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x patch_match_target=true -s
/tmp/PHCO_17058.depot

If that doesn't work and since this seems to be a SAM patch, do you have sam
installed and working?
Try running sam from the command line and see if the system administrator
tool works.
Otherwise I dunno. This might fail if a superseding patch was already
installed.

PHCO_17058 has been replaced by PHCO_23876 (Latest Superseding Patch) and
PHCO_21187 (Best Available Patch). Try doing:

swlist | grep PHCO

to see if any of these later patches are already installed.

You might want to install one of the later patches. I don't think anyone
comes out with
so many patch udates like HP-UX. Anytime you see documentation that says you
need to install a certain patch, that patch will have been supersceeded 2 or
more times by the time you read the documentation so don't be worried about
trying to install one of the supersceeding patches.

HTH
Ed