I would not use automatic undo management with 9i until they debug it.  We had a
posting  a few weeks ago on bug 1904199 or a variant thereof.  Here are the last few
lines from the mail detailing the problem

Then one day on trying to reopen the database following

>Errors in file /opt/db/oracle/admin/report/udump/report_ora_14226.trc:
>ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kteoprpect-1], [2], [1], [],
>[], [], [], []
>Sun Aug 12 21:38:45 2001
>Errors in file /opt/db/oracle/admin/report/udump/report_ora_14226.trc:
>ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kteoprpect-1], [2], [1], [],
>[], [], [], []
>Sun Aug 12 21:38:45 2001
>Error 600 happened during db open, shutting down database
>USER: terminating instance due to error 600
>Instance terminated by USER, pid = 14226
>ORA-1092 signalled during: alter database open...
>
>Our support analysts saud that a fix was in progress and that there was no
>known way to recover, even an ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS.  A choice
>tidbit from the bug report:
>
>"This could be quite serious for customers as there is no simple way out of
>this scenario."
>
>Buyer beware.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center