You can use Connection Manager and define rules.
Although you will need to change the net services
entries of the tnsnames.ora or from the names or from
LDAP, just to source the client to the Connection
Manager before the server itself.

Or if you use TCP/IP as the protocol for Net8, you can
use the file protocol.ora. In order to restrict the
access you must include these two lines:

tcp.validnode_checking=TRUE
tcp.excluded_nodes=(<ip or name>,.....)
.....or better if there two many:

tcp.included_nodes (<ip or name>....)

Regards.

--- "O'Neill, Sean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I wish to do work on a database logging in to
> server itself and want to
> prevent users from accessing the system via network
> is there another way to
> do this if I don't want to use the "enable
> restricted session"
> functionality.  I'm thinking there's probably a neat
> way to utiltise the
> listener process but have not figured it out.
>
> Also what If I need to work on DB over network but
> don't want any other
> users using DB what can I do to prevent their
> connecting?
>

> Sean :)
>
> Data Base Administrator
> Oracle 7.3.3, 8.0.5, 8.1.7 - NT, W2K
> [0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA ---> End 2002 deadline =:-O
> [0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA
>
> "Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be
> jivin' too."  - BB King
>

> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: O'Neill, Sean
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Eng. Christian Trassens