Hi Jonathan,

Sweeping statement...maybe. It all depends on your
application. That's why I put an emphasis on his/her
application (meaning both physical structure and data)
requirements. As a GENERAL rule of thumb, I
(personally) suggest (if possible) 2k for OLTP
databases. It's like if you ask me what car to buy, I
would say a "Honda". But if you were to tell me that
you need speed, style and sex on wheels, I would
suggest a Benz.

You and I, (especially you!) can argue the
benefits/disadvantages of using 2k block size...Which
I don't care to do. I've put the benefits/reasons of a
2k blocksize at the bottom of this reply just to show
some reverse examples of the ones you replied with.
Some of the reasons should look familiar to you! ;)

Regards,
Satar

1. The OLTP app has lots of small rows (<2k)

2. The OLTP app does massive scattered reads (you
don't full scan in OLTP).  It
reads a block here, a block there based on some
primary key (after doing lots of
scattered reads to walk an index structure)

3. The OLTP app has 1,000 connected users -- each
wants their current row(s) they
are using in the cache.

4. A smaller block size in a database that does lots
of scattered IO's (eg: an OLTP system) and random
keyed reads can definitely benefit from smaller
blocksizes.

5. The indexes for the critical access paths fit
exactly into an N-layer tree and allow an optimum
buffering strategy when memory is limited.

6. In almost all cases the data for a single index
value will be (significantly) less than 2K and will
all be found in the same block.

7. Memory is at a premium.

--- Jonathan Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://phone.yahoo.com