Binay,

from what i understand, these type of block reads
relate to read consistancy .. meaning that if oracle
wants to read block x but it finds that it is dirty ,
it reads from the rollback segments to give you the
point in time snapshot as it existed at the time when
you had first started the query.

e.g. u fire query at 12.00 and if at 12.05, someone
changes a block and commits. Now at 12.10 your query
is still executing and it requests the above block,
oracle will attempt to read it from the rbs , therby
resulting in a consistent read.

a current mode read on the other is a direct read off
of the buffer cache.

correct me if i am wrong here guys?

Thx
Deepak