here is the excerpt from my /etc/system file, we currently have 12 instances
on it. Be sure to apply the logic in the comments and not the actual values
that I used. The settings will make sense to your SA. The logic comes from
reading many papers on the subject (I have them around here somewhere).

This is a Sun E5k with 2.5 GB memory, 10 processors running Solaris 2.6 with
both 8.0.5.2.1 and 8.1.7.1.0 Oracle databases. I use the same logic on all
our systems.

HTH
- Paul

* Revised Shared Memory parameters
*--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Maximum shared memory size. Set to maximum allowable on
* a 32-bit system. Its easier to remember the value in Hex.
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0xffffffff

* Minimum shared memory size. Always set to 1 byte.
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1

* Number of shared memory identifiers to pre-allocate. Set to handle
* 200 users for 6 instances or 100 users for 12 instances (1200) +
* 10 background processes each (60) + 20 for Sybase + 10% (130)
* = 1410 -> 1500.
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=1500

* Maximum number of shared segments per process. Set to Oracle
* recommendation. However, I recall reading that only a maximum
* of 10 is allowed in Oracle. ??
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=20

* Revised Semaphore parameters
*--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Number of semaphores in the system. Set to the shmmni setting x 2.
* Oracle needs this extra in order to start up.
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=3000

* Maximum number of semaphores per semaphore group. Set to the
* maximum number of process per instance.
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=200

* Maximum number of semaphore identifiers. Must be at least semmns/semmsl
* (=15) but want to allow for many semaphore groups with less
* than the maximum number of semmsl.
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100

* Number of entries in the semaphore map. Pre-allocate the semaphores.
* Set to semmns.