b'coz you have to type select * from v\$instance;"

you are passing arguments from shell. You have to escape $ like \$

HTH

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 3:50 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

 Even using  like this:-

echo "select * from v$instance;" | sqlplus system/manager

gives me the error :-

SQL> select * from v
              *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Though I can do the same sql statement from inside sqlplus with ease, so
why does it give table or view does not exist?

I am confused ..

rgds,
--

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:50:17
 Ross Collado wrote:
>I don't believe SQLPlus will let you run a SQL statement in the command
line
>itself.  As you can see in Usage:, it doesn't have an option for this.
>However, if you insist on running SQL statements in the command line
itself,
>you can probably do something like (only in Unix):
>
>sqlplus -s scott/tiger << !
>select * from emp;
>!
>
>or
>
>save your select * from emp; to a sql file and do :
>sqlplus -s scott/tiger @myfile.sql
>
>hth
>Ross

Lists