-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 3:29 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Srinivas -
        - I assume that you have the Oracle Magazine articles. If not,
they
are available on-line.
        - I'm confused (easily done). You say that you are tuning SQL
statements that statspack has identified and you want more information
on
statspack report interpretation. To me that is two separate issues.
        - How statspack identifies the top SQL statement offenders is
pretty
straightforward. There are good books on SQL statement tuning. I don't
have
a favorite at the moment, perhaps someone will
        - I haven't seen many resources on interpreting the rest of the
statspack report.
        - Take a look at Don Burleson's book "Oracle High-Performance
Tuning
with Statspack". He offers many scripts to present Statspack results in
different forms. His main thesis is that Statspack should be run over a
period of time and the results reviewed to see what are the critical
performance periods for your system. I didn't find his tuning advice as
strong, but then I haven't found anyone that discusses server tuning
well.
There is a new movement to go from examining ratios (like the statspack
report) to examining waits.

Hope this helps.

Dennis Williams
DBA