Pablo,

Free buffer waits is normally due to DBWR not being able to write out
modified blocks to disk fast enough.

By changing the disk layout you have eliminated disk contention and hot
spots and have enabled DBWR to write out the dirty buffers to disk faster
thus making enough free buffers available.

Steve Adams has an excellent paper on his website
"The Mysteries of DBWR Tuning".
http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/mystery.doc

Some of Steve's recommendation are to use asynchronous I/O,
Spread datafiles across multiple disks, controllers and I/O busses to
eliminate hot spots (that is what you probably did) and the
use of raw datafiles.

Please see his paper for more in-depth detail.

Regards
Suhen

HI list.

I was tuning a database (Oracle 7.3.4) that was
waiting for "free buffer waits" mostly.
I tuned DBWn batch size properly (increased it till
4MB) as well as  buffer cache size (it's 600MB now)
too and I got some improvement but I didn't get a
major improvement.
But some weeks ago, when we changed the disk array
(from one symmetrix to another) and made an appropiate

disk distribution (to eliminate contention), "free
buffer waits" went down (almost desappeared). We
didn't change anything else.

I noticed that the "avg db file parallel write"
changed from 150ms to 30ms.

Can someone explain me why "free buffer waits"
dissapeared?

TIA

Yahoo! Messenger
Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente.
http://messenger.yahoo.es
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Pablo=20ksksksk?=

Author: Suhen Pather